Monday, June 26, 2017

Heal a broken heart with plant helpers

Here is a ceremony to heal a broken heart with 4 medicine plant helpers: Cedar, Tobacco, Sweetgrass and Sage.


I begin by finding a beautiful tree, one that will allow me to sit at its base with my back against the trunk.  Here on the Canadian northwest coast, the Western Red Cedar is Mother Cedar who helps all her human and other than human children by making every part of herself useful.  In this ceremony it is her powerful healing energy that will flow into my broken heart.  She is the wise mother who knows that what is born must also pass away.


If my broken heart is from a lost, departed or betrayed love, I find married trees, who will know my feelings of loss deep in their roots.


I find a flat sided stone about the size of my open palm and put this near me as I sit on the ground in the scented needle duff.  I bring a bottle of water that I place nearby.  I lean back against the tree and be kind to my heart by acknowledging my present emotions, whatever these may be.


I bring tobacco with me in a form that has the least chemical additives I can find.

When I  use tobacco in a ceremonial way it does not result in my addiction since three factors are present:  moderation, respect for its organic source, and a positive regard for this sacred teacher that brings humans wisdom while it also feeds spirit powers in the alternate realities.

I light a cigarette and with the first exhalation I offer a good thought for myself and for everyone in my broken-hearted situation.  With a second puff I try to just rest in stillness, and with a third exhalation I look to receive insight about my situation from an inner image or words, or an intuitive feeling.

I then break off the still burning end of the cigarette, peel away its paper, and leave the tobacco on the flat rock so the smoke can carry my respect and gratitude to all who are willing to help me.  I make sure the smoldering ash is fully out before continuing with my ceremony.


I next pick up a sage bundle.  I light the tip and wash in the smoke, pulling the smoke into my heart and over my head, then along my torso and around my feet.  I wash away my anger and confusion, and the imbalance that comes with fear and loneliness. I make sure any smoldering tips of the sage plant are broken off and added to the tobacco ash on the flat stone. Again I wait until the sacred smoke is finished before continuing.


I last take up a sweegrass braid that has been given to me rather than purchased by me.  I understand it is important to not sell the sacred healing plants that the earth freely gives to us.  Sweetgrass is the teacher of kindness and forgiveness who gives her compassion to all in need.  I light the tip of the sweetgrass braid, again pulling the smoke into my heart and over my head and speak a prayer of well being.

May I be safe and protected from inner and outer harm.
May I be happy and peaceful in my heart.
May I be strong and healthy in my body.
May I make my way joyfully in the world.

I say this prayer of loving-kindness from Ahjan Sona, the Abbot of Birken Forest Monastery, because it brings my Buddhist practice into this shamanic healing ceremony with such simple beauty.

I add any still burning stems of sweetgrass and ash to the stone. I sit quietly with whatever feelings arise, refocusing on the strength of Mother Cedar at my back in this time of growth and transformation.  To finish I wash the ash from the three plant helpers into the soil beneath the stone.

And I do this simple ceremony again the next day, and the next, and the next.  Until I realize I am safe and strong, making my way joyfully with a peaceful heart, thankful for these sacred plant helpers.