Saturday, September 15, 2018

frame drum repair


This deerskin and red cedar frame drum came to me for repair because the drum hide and frame was much stronger than the back of the drum.


The lacing in the back of the drum seemed to be buckskin and was quite loose.  When the owner of the drum brought the drum to me, she pinched the thongs together, saying she sometimes did this to tighten the pattern.  Suddenly, we had the solution for repair.


I understand that the way the back of a frame drum is tied is the drum maker's signature, so this method of tightening without removing the original lacing felt correct.


I use various kinds of sailor's knots when I finish the backs of my frame drums, and so using a variation of a Portuguese sinnet became the way to reinforce the lacing.


The drum back took on a look of sturdy elegance as the knotwork moved up each of the four directions, split at the Y and then continued across the centre bar to meet again in the middle.


Just when I thought all was resolved and easy, I came to the centre of the design--now what?  I tied the eight ends of leather into a crown sennit from Des Pawson's Knot Craft, a wee little book that has been a bible of knot designs for me. 


After several hours of frustrating non-success with wall knots and star knots, I just repeated the over and under weave of the crown sennit. and there was the solution!


The ends were tucked under and a drops of glue were added to reinforce the design so nothing could shift loose.  I have always maintained that good art can sometimes benefit from a bit of glue.