Tuesday, June 24, 2014

How to conduct an Oracle reading


When my friend Ann Mortifee offered to publish the original full version of the Journey Oracle card deck through Eskova Publishing, she made the casual comment,"you should make a youtube video of you conducting a reading.  This will help people know how you do it."  Seemed a simple request. Well.
Turns out not really.  But what a learning experience.


Initially I thought this would be easy because I make youtube videos of my drums for sale, especially so people who are interested can listen to each drum being played.  I use four or five stills and my Avid microphone--presto!  But how to create a video that is not just the back of my head and a view of the cards while I talk on?  My hands holding the cards to begin the reading, and images of the card layout, my journal and the Oracle book pages seemed simple enough, but how to tell the story?


First I had to have a story to tell--which means I had to really do a reading. This turned out to be a most challenging choice.  If the reading was not authentic then I suspected the shamanic journey into a waking dream wouldn't happen. So the question had to be real. I drew this card for random inspiration and immediately thought of a situation I had been experiencing with a friend whose comments had caused me to feel unsure of myself.  "Why has my self-confidence disappeared?"


After I drew the four cards and began the reading, I found myself spontaneously thinking of cards that captured the visual essence of a connection or insight that occurred as I moved through the journey of the reading.  At every point a card image just seemed to float into my awareness and "click shut" into place.  Not only did I receive good wisdom from my unconscious mind about this situation, I had a wonderful time learning to use the video and photoshop tools.  I hope you also enjoy this 10 minute shamanic journey into a waking dream.