Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Seeing animal spirits in a frame drum

When I begin to paint a shamanic frame drum, I first gaze into the dried deer skin looking for eyes. Always it seems the eyes come first, and then slowly, the creature reveals itself.  But I must commit to painting the eyes.


Usually there is very little detail that I need to add--a brush stoke there, a small shape further on.  If the spirit animal is truly within the surface and the energy of the drum, it will provide the spark of recognition that guides me.


My most important contribution is to not direct the appearance of the animal showing itself.  Creatures in the realm of spirit do not compose their features as we do in this reality.  Eyes look in two places at once, young and old inhabit the same body, human and animal coexist in a physical form.


This buffalo combines all of the qualities I just mentioned, plus has a gaze of both engagement and detached appraisal that is quite compelling.  The creatures of the other side certainly have their own agenda for coming to be a spirit companion.  Especially when the drum is purchased unpainted, as this one was, and the image comes after the new drummer is known.


Very little paint was used to find the details of this significant companion; the white throughout the buffalo's body and surrounding is in the drum itself, and not added.  This causes me to wonder how the new owner of this drum might be going to learn from the story of the White Buffalo Calf Woman.

 
You can find out more about my drums, and drumsticks made from felted wool and traditional smoke-tanned leather at www.journeyoracle.com