Friday, July 14, 2017

Drive the Olympic Peninsula as an oracle journey

I just returned from driving the Olympic Peninsula, but instead of reading tourist maps I read the adventure as a journey into my inner wisdom, just like doing an oracle reading with my Journey Oracle deck.

I began by thinking of the trip as a situation, just like the Journey Oracle asks me to focus on a situation or question for which I want advice.  This road trip reading was about driving to Oregon to visit family and friends whom I haven't seen for several years.


Returning to my hometown has choices and actions that are tangled, just like the old growth forests of the Peninsula are difficult to move through.   Yet both hold the reward of depth and revelation by following a good path.


The Journey Oracle cards use visual and verbal symbols and analogies to stimulate self-discovery. By translating the 4 categories of an oracle reading into aspects of nature during our drive, my anxieties, fears and desires emerged  to be recognized and resolved.   Certainly one of my emotional energies to untangle were my strong feelings that my family and I would have disagreements regarding our differing political views.  This tributary of the Elwha River seemed a perfect metaphor.


The Journey Oracle next asked me to focus on my experience of the situation, to unveil the forces that are moving beneath my experience.  The perspective of this scene near the Hoh River is quite confusing, yet the detail of small twigs and lichen is very beautiful.


Perhaps by focusing on each moment, and staying present to my emotional tone,  I will be able to feel the aspects of each interaction that are worthy of  kindly and respectful attention.  This image of Madison Falls, with its easily accessible self-guiding trail, is a much better oracle card image for spending time with family.


The third oracle card in a reading represents the change that is calling me in the situation.  We had a shift of plans and found ourselves not camping, but staying at the Bishop Victorian Hotel in Port Townsend on our return trip.



What a change of plans!


I found myself reflecting on how oldest friends, and siblings, have the longest story about how I have become who I am.  There were no awkward moments, but regular kindness and careful attention to steer away from topics that would cause discord.  Like finding a comfortable room filled with warm light and antiques.   Certainly the furniture is delicate, but also well made and capable of lasting for decades more.


The last card of a Journey Oracle reading is the resolution of the situation.  Old relationships have value, and although times and choices change, shared memories and stories can be a dock that creates safe harbour.