Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Oracle from a spiny oyster

I had the opportunity yesterday to give a gift to the Chief of the Klahoose First Nation here on Cortes Island. Included within the hand made pouch was a spiny oyster shell, and as I described something about this unusual oyster-like scallop found in the Sea of Cortez, I realized that it is an oracle for all of us who are trying to repair damage from past practices between our communities, and wanting to go forward with positive regard for each other. The inner lip of the spiny oyster is variously colored in red, purple, or orange. The color changes according to the depth at which the oyster is growing. I presented an orange rimed oyster, which is found at depths of more than 90 feet. This means to me that the giving and receiving of this gift is from a very deep place. Like the scallop, the spiny oyster has a rim of eyes along the mantle of the shell, which means to me that this exchange is to honor our seeing with many different views. A spiny oyster fresh from the sea has long spines growing from the outer shell. These are part of the worth of the shell for making bead jewelry. The spines of this gift oyster had all been broken off, which is an oracle of both loss and hope. Something beautiful and complete has been damaged, yet something new and also beautiful can be made with skillful work and attention.

When I read the Journey Oracle cards I do something similar with the images and colors as these make connections to my reason for drawing a card. I start looking for metaphors and analogies, not expecting an answer to obviously and immediately present itself. I asked the Journey Oracle deck, "What is the teaching of this spiny oyster gift?" This is the card I drew. The white-skinned figure is diving down into blue swirls of deep water. Although she is wearing some covering for modesty, she is also vulnerable in her nakedness. A dramatically foreshortened arm holds a hand palm up, as if waiting to receive something into its grasp. Or maybe the hand has just opened to release a gift of movement. The question is provoking. For all my valuing of new friendships and appreciation of the positive change economic growth has brought to the First Nations, "Am I willing to trade places?"