Friday, August 30, 2013

New way to decipher dreams

I have just discovered a new way to understand dreams using the Journey Oracle card deck.  This happened when I was making notes from C.G. Jung's collected writings about Dreams.  I created a dream reading of a difficult situation that I want to share with you.  I have been troubled by an experience I had while visiting a psychic for advice.  I came away quite unsettled by feelings of devastation and loss, as if my relationship with the spirit world had suddenly become unplugged.

Jung describes the form of a dream as having 4 parts, and so I drew 4 Journey Oracle cards to create a series of Oracle dream images that my unconscious could "read" for insight and solution.


Most dreams have an "opening structure."  Jung says that this contains a statement of the place and the protagonists in the dream, and sometimes includes a statement of time.  In the opening structure of my Oracle dream I am looking out from behind a shape of confusion and disorder.  I am mostly the color of the solar plexus chakra which to me represents the self-esteem that comes from inner truth.  This is how I felt at the beginning of my work with the psychic.


Next Jung says a dream develops a plot by presenting complications in a situation and by creating tension because the outcome is uncertain.  The developing plot of my Oracle dream shows the inner tension and complications that arose as the session progressed.  Although I had come with an open heart to decipher some dreams that were unclear to me, I felt I was not allowed to finish my story.


Jung calls the third part of the form of a dream the "culmination."  This is when something decisive happens, or something changes completely.  The psychic's spirit helpers were very direct, and with a few statements changed my perceived relationship to the spirit world utterly.  I felt as if I had indeed taken a wrong turn in the last 30 years of my shamanic practice, with no opportunity now to re-form the devastation into a new configuration.


Jung describes the 4th part of dream form as what he calls "solution/result." In this part the final situation is revealed, which may represent the solution "sought" by the dreamer.  Before the reading could continue to a second scheduled session, I went to my stone teacher and asked if I should go forward in this way.  I was told this was complete, and ever since I have been coming awake to the true purpose of the session: I feel called to witness my own unique relationship with spirit, which cannot be interpreted without my permission and participation.  

As if in confirmation, Jung concludes his essay on the nature of dreams by acknowledging Freud's great achievement to dream interpretation: that no interpretation can be undertaken without the dreamer.