Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Ways to create Oracle card readings

A woman purchased my Journey Oracle cards, and recently sent me an interesting question: how to use the cards for a general inquiry, rather than for a specific situation?  More particularly, how do the oracle cards representing change and the resolution contribute if the reading is not about a problem.
Here are some ways of creating Oracle card readings.


I draw one card and describe its image as a theme that is moving in my life: the colors and shapes and what I associate with these.  This oracle card certainly underlines a constant pattern in my life of joining—my shamanic path with my Buddhist practice, my quiet island home combined with my travelling to give oracle card and drum-making workshops.  

I then turn to the Resolution page for this oracle card, which is a fairy tale, and read this like a metaphor or analogy giving insight about the theme.  Sometimes the entire story applies, sometimes only a sentence or phrase brings revelation. In the fairy tale for this oracle card, titled Meeting the Wolf, this last sentence jumps out.

         Later, when the woman told others of the experience, she discovered that during the encounter, she had no thoughts about the symbolic meaning of wolves and no noticing of spiritual messages; there had only been meeting the wolf.

I understand that my joining of different interests and practices does not require being split.  the image is whole at the mouth, which can speak the beauty of both ways together.

 

 Sometimes I draw several cards that I name with stages of a journey I am on in some part of my life.  The first oracle card may be called, “Where I am now” while the next is named, “Watch for this sign as a good way to go”.  Perhaps next is an oracle card I name “Avoid this danger” and the last is called “This is where I am going.” 

 

I also create a shamanic journey by choosing a group of cards to work with.  I like to let these literally fall from the deck as I begin to mix the oracle cards up.  I arrange the cards in a line, circle, or other significant shape to my situation. 


I gaze at the first card allowing it to flow through my awareness. I see/feel myself going into the picture.


I continue slowly to the next oracle card, entering the landscape and meeting the creatures and people.


I let the images move and speak.  I speak aloud or journal impressions and insights as I travel along the cards.


 I journey into the last card, asking my speech to be eloquent and my words to be poetry. 


I return to this reality by spontaneously turning over any card in this journey spread.  I notice its number and symbol of either a diamond or a circle.  I turn to he pages titled Meet the Oracle / Receive Messages in the Journey Oracle book of pronouncements.  Depending on the symbol, I read either the phrase or the question for insight from spirit to conclude my journey.

Do you realize you have your own story to write?

As I hope is evident from these examples, there is no one or correct way to use the Journey Oracle.  However, I do follow a code of reciprocity.  When I do a reading, I give a gift to the Oracle when I finish.  This might be a song or a sweet breath of incense.  I may pour water on the ground, or put bread crumbs outside in a little hollow cup of moss.  In this way, I give food to the Oracle in Nature, because I have received the food of this ancient wisdom.