Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Big Cedar drum and visit a drum making workshop


A new frame drum is finished and this is always 
a day for celebration and amazement 
at the beauty of wood and skin and vibration.  


I will probably paint this drum, but first I like to offer
 its beautiful face without my art impression. 
  

When I first looked at this Cortes Island deer hide
I saw a resting buffalo, and this
is the energy of its original face.


This is my first frame drum made with
a yellow cedar hoop from 
and the voice is as big as the big trees.


You can here this drum being played
with a felted beater on youtube
https://youtu.be/EV3GWVKjlx4


The interlacement pattern on the reverse
is a double star design


wrapped with doeskin hitching.


And always, the snake is present for protection,
and guidance into the altered realities. 


But of course this beautiful drum did not always 
look like a drum.  It began this transformation
in a limebath.


while hoops of various sizes were 
auditioned for good fit. 


If you are on Cortes between 
June 14th and June 16th, 
and watch frame drums being made,
with a little bit of my help,
by students from
Saint Michael's University School.



This big cedar drum is available for purchase
from the Journey Oracle.   
Go to www.etsy.com/your/shops/journeyoracle/tools/listings/stats:true/
713737705