Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Honour song for whales

.  

I wrote about a solstice celebration with a twist in my last post. One of the high points of that peculiar journey was being accompanied by a Humpback whale when coming back to Cortes Island. When we returned I decided to paint a new frame drum that had a very interesting surface.

 

At first I thought it was going to be an air image but when I turned the surface in a different direction this watery world appeared. And into it swam a whale.


The humpback whales are returning to our island waters in greater numbers each year.


I am hoping that the song of this drum will carry a vibration of blessing and protection to the whales. especially since I read last night that Japan has lifted its 30 year ban on hunting whales, and is planning to again send factory ships into their waters.


You can listen to this drum being played with a felted drumstick by clicking on this youtube url. https://youtu.be/OMidvN_5KA4.

The Honour Song drum is available for purchase by going to my website and visiting my Etsy webstore.